Thursday evening in Sabon Birni local government area of Sokoto State began with the sound of gunfire. Armed bandits descended on Unguwan Lalle, a community that had seen this kind of terror before, and were met this time with something they apparently had not fully anticipated — a sustained, coordinated response from Nigerian troops and local vigilante fighters. The gun battle lasted for hours. By the end of it, the bandits retreated, reportedly dragging their dead with them as they went. It must have felt, briefly, like a victory. It was not.
Repelled from Unguwan Lalle, the attackers simply redirected. They moved to Mazau, where they killed six residents, then pressed on to Turtsawa, where four more people were shot dead, including two women. When Friday morning came, the same group returned and ambushed three farmers making their way to their fields in Tsamaye village, killing all three. In total, thirteen people were dead across three communities, the violence stretching from Thursday evening into Friday morning on 18 July 2026. The attackers even attempted to disrupt burial proceedings for the victims before troops from Unguwan Lalle intervened and drove them back once more.
A resident who spoke to Daily Trust without giving his name described the initial assault on Unguwan Lalle in stark terms. “The military and vigilantes engaged them in a fierce gun battle that lasted for hours,” he said. “We believe the bandits suffered heavy casualties, but they evacuated the bodies of their dead as they usually do.” He credited the swift reaction of security forces with preventing an even higher death toll — a grim calculation that speaks to just how normalised this kind of arithmetic has become in northwest Nigeria.
The killings did not emerge from nowhere. A community leader in Sabon Birni confirmed that on Wednesday, 16 July, gunmen had abducted three farmers at Fadaman Sabon Birni — two days before the deadly raids began. The abductions were, in retrospect, a warning that went unheeded, or at least unanswered. The community leader described the attacks as consistent with a pattern of renewed bandit aggression in the area, the kind of escalating pressure that communities in Sokoto have been absorbing for years while waiting for a response equal to the threat.
Attempts to reach the two legislators representing Sabon Birni in the Sokoto State House of Assembly — Hon. Aminu Boza and Hon. Sa’idu Ibrahim — went nowhere, with calls to both going unanswered. The state police spokesman, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, said he had not yet received a full briefing when contacted. “I am yet to receive details of the attacks,” he said. “I will contact the Divisional Police Officer in the area and get back with the necessary information.” Whether that information ever materialised publicly remains unclear.
This latest bloodshed sits within a wider, worsening picture. Earlier in July, a chief imam and at least two others were reportedly murdered by bandits in Sokoto State. In a separate incident, armed bandits killed six residents, including a village head, during Asr prayer, prompting protests on the Sokoto-Jega highway as youths demanded action. Livestock were rustled, communities emptied, and the dead were buried while the living wondered who would be next. The northwest of Nigeria has endured school raids, mass abductions, and relentless attacks on farming communities for years, yet the machinery of the state continues to respond at a pace that does not match the scale of the crisis. Thirteen more people are dead. The bandits are still out there.

