The Man Who Claimed to Run a Fake Agency Says He’ll Let the Courts Decide

A Ghost Agency at the Heart of Government

Adeniyi Adeyemi has spent months presenting himself as the Director-General of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) — an agency the presidency insists does not exist. Photos of him alongside prominent Nigerian officials circulated freely online. A lawsuit has now been filed against him. Yet Adeyemi is not backing down.

Speaking on Channels TV on Thursday, 2 July, he was direct: “If I’m wrong, let the court of law do that, and if I’m right, let the court of law do that; do the right thing.” He denied any fraud and said he was ready to clear his name before a court of competent jurisdiction.

That is a bold posture for a man whose entire claim to authority rests on an agency the federal government says never existed. Either Adeyemi is a brazen fraudster, or something far more complicated is unfolding inside Aso Rock.

The Allegations Against Senior Officials

Adeyemi has not limited himself to defending his own position. He has gone on the offensive. He previously accused Femi Gbajabiamila, Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, and other senior government officials of working to frustrate his activities after he allegedly refused to pay bribes.

That is an extraordinarily serious claim. If true, it suggests officials at the highest levels of the presidency were not merely unaware of a fraudulent agency operating under their noses — they were actively engaged with it. If false, it is a calculated attempt to muddy the waters and buy time.

When pressed on Channels TV about how he funded salaries for the more than 300 people reportedly working with the council, Adeyemi declined to answer. He said everything would be revealed in court. That silence is notable. It is also convenient.

What the Public Is Saying

Nigerians have reacted with a mixture of scepticism, suspicion and sharp political instinct. The responses reveal how deeply distrust of government institutions runs — and how quickly any scandal gets filtered through existing political grievances.

These reactions are not evidence of anything. But they do reflect a public that has learned — rightly or wrongly — to assume the worst when the presidency is involved in a controversy it was slow to address.

Calls for Arrest and Investigation

The Citizens Tax Action Group (CTAG) has demanded Adeyemi’s immediate investigation for alleged impersonation and deliberate misinformation. Separately, allegations of a ₦600 million bribery scheme linked to the affair have added another layer of gravity to an already murky situation.

These are not small stakes. An individual claiming to lead a government agency — one that apparently employed hundreds of people — raises serious questions about institutional oversight. How did this go on for so long without formal intervention? Who, if anyone, was checking?

The presidency’s denial is necessary but not sufficient. Denying the agency’s existence does not explain how Adeyemi managed to operate in plain sight, photograph himself with senior officials and reportedly maintain a payroll. Those questions demand answers that a press statement cannot provide.

What Happens Next

The matter is now before the courts. Adeyemi has staked his defence entirely on that process, and it is the right arena for establishing facts. But court proceedings in Nigeria move slowly, and public attention tends to move faster.

The risk is that this affair gets absorbed into the background noise of Nigerian political life before any verdict arrives. That would suit everyone implicated — except the public. The PFIPC scandal is not merely about one man’s audacity. It is a test of whether the institutions around the presidency can identify, confront and resolve a breach of public trust in a manner that is transparent and timely.

So far, the response has been reactive rather than proactive. That is not good enough.